FILMED OVER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL YEARS, RESERVATION SOLDIERS FOCUSES ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE CANADIAN MILITARY AND ABORIGINAL YOUTH.
For Blair, Mahekan and Noel, three teenage boys from remote Western Canadian reservations, the military represents an opportunity they don’t often see at home — adventure, discipline and cold hard cash. When they attend Bold Eagle, a six-week military boot camp, they face the reality of military life and ponder a possible future in the Canadian Army. Aboriginal recruiter Sergeant Ron Leblanc knows exactly where they’re coming from. After 16 years in the military he is facing a difficult decision; pursuing a career with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or “paying back” the military for helping him escape his troubled youth by shipping out to Afghanistan, Canada’s most dangerous mission since the Korean War. For these young men, the Canadian military seems like the best option, but is it the only option for their future?
Running Time: 48 & 45 minute versions available.
Narrator: Evan Adams
Editor: Jeanne Slater
Composer: Brent Belke
Associate Producer: Nicole McKay
Executive Producer: Trish Dolman
Producer(s): Trish Dolman, Trish Williams
Producer(s): Lisa Jackson
Produced in Association with: CTV Television with the Participation of the Canadian Television Fund;
Produced in Association with: Aboriginal Peoples Television Network with the assistance of the Canadian Independent Film & Video Fund.
Produced in Association with: Knowledge Network and SCN with the Participation of the Province of British Columbia Film Incentive BC and the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit.
Produced with the Participation of: Rogers Telefund
Developed in Association with: CTV Television with the Participation of the British Columbia Film and the Assistance of the Canadian Independent Film & Video Fund
FESTIVALS & AWARDS
Awards & Nominations
- 2008 Awards and Nominations
- 2008 Winner “Best Feature Documentary (International)” at the Talking Stick Film Festival in Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 2008 Winner Golden Sheaf Award for “Best Aboriginal Production” at Yorkton Short Film Festival & Video Festival
- 2008 Winner Bronze Remi Award at Worldfest Houston 2008 for TV Special: Documentary
- 2008 Nominated in the Documentary or Series category for Leo Awards, “Best Screenwriting”, and “Best Sound Editing”
- 2008 Nominee for “Best Documentary Short” at American Indian Film Festival
- 2008 Talking Stick Film Festival, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- 2008 Yorkton Short Film & Video Festival, Yorkton, Saskatchewan Canada
- 2008 Worldfest Huston, Huston Texas USA
- 2007 Whistler Film Festival, Whistler BC, Canada